One thing that a business is mostly concerned about is its past and current status. There are various factors such as marketing numbers, human resources, company budgeting, sales volumes, etc. that affect a company’s growth and productivity. The data can be collected from various domains but as a business you must be keen on extracting value from data rather than simply gathering it.
Business Intelligence is a bunch of technologies and practices for transforming business data into actionable reports. As an independent industry, BI has given birth to numerous roles and professions as of now. But do you know the skills required to hire a Power BI developer?
Readout this article to explore more about the roles, responsibilities, background, and required skills of a BI developer.
Key BI componentsBusiness Intelligence is divided into 3 layers, with each layer requiring a separate expert. Let’s understand it in detail.
1. Data SourceIt is the first layer of BI. Storage like cloud, database or excel files, etc. is required to safely store and retrieve data. The data source is a critical part since it's the foundation for the next BI stages and commonly, ETL designers are liable for building a foundation for data stockpiling.
2. Data WarehousesAt this stage data is transformed into one place called a database. That is the place where data is standardized to be accessed from the database. Warehouses are developed by ETL or database engineers.
3. BI ReportingAt this stage data is visualized through a BI interface. Business intelligence reporting is the primary responsibility as well as a most important concern of BI developers
Roles and Responsibilities of Business Intelligence DevelopersSince BI developers plan and implement strategies as well as roadmaps to address the company’s data challenges, they translate the company’s data into useful insights for stakeholders to make the right business decisions.
BI developers are assigned the task of building a BI interface that collects data from separate sources and makes hypotheses. Since this is a tedious task so, BI developers are advised to utilize their research results to foster practical ideas which are useful to the organization.
Another additional responsibility will be managing data initiatives across the organization. Here the business intelligence developer acts as middle man and coordinates with the project team's progress with the help of various other data tools and systems.
Typical responsibilities of a business intelligence developer are such as-
1. Defining a BI interfaceBI interfere defining is one of the most important business requirements. The company's domain acts as the foundation for BI interference choosing and BI developers consider this while deciding the types of data to be visualized and the display format for end-users.
2. Setting tech demandsOnce the business requirements are aligned, BI developers transform them into technical requirements to build an interface for the end-users. Business intelligence developers decide the type of visualization along with the user interaction with this visualized data. BI developers also hold the responsibility of supervising all the development processes of the BI interface.
3. DevelopmentBI developer is not only responsible for the development process but also for testing and maintenance of the product.
4. Object relations reportingData models contain various interrelated objects and relations among these objects show how the data is presented to users. BI developer has to make sure correct relations are established between objects within data models.
5. Warehousing system developmentBI developers can take the responsibility for building a warehouse with the help of ETL developers. Even though the architecture of the warehouse won't affect much data visualization.
6. DocumentationAlong with building the warehouse, BI developers can also participate in the documentation of the warehouse’s system architecture. The data documentation covers detailed data explanation with algorithms, variables and relations hence, it is very important for BI developers.
7. Writing tech guidesFor making it understandable and easy for the end-users, BI developers have to come up with structured and straightforward tech guides.
BI Development SkillsBI developers should have multiple skillsets because different projects present different challenges. Here are some business intelligence skills that define an excellent BI candidate.
2. BI toolsBI designers should be knowledgeable in their tech stack to redo BI tools like Apache Superset or Hadoop to the task appropriately.
3. Strong database knowledgeBI developers need to have strong database knowledge since they interact with SQL and NoSQL databases to build a functional interface.
4. Quality AssuranceAlong with all other roles BI developers are also responsible for ensuring the quality of BI interfaces before presenting them to the end-users.
5. Solid software development skillsSince BI developers handle various responsibilities and every project require different skills like some of the projects require a mobile BI interface whereas some require desktop ones which is why software development skill is a must for this role.
ConclusionAdding a BI engineer to your team implies turning out to be more information-driven than ever. Most of the business decisions will be based on structured and visualized data. This makes your imagination and efforts come into reality. A BI developer acts as an interpreter of data to the business language.
The primary role of a business developer should be building a steady BI interface for appropriate data visualization to enable businesses to make the right decision based on it. However, organizations can hire senior developers if they have data presentations like higher needs. We, at OdiTek solutions, have highly skilled power BI developers to fulfill all your data integration and visualization needs. Reach out to us today to explore more about our business intelligence expertise.
What OdiTek offers
Refer our Skills page:
We had a tough deadline to launch our .Net based application that processes a lot of data, and got very frustrated with our development agency we hired. Fortunately we got Oditek, and they took over seamlessly the product development, launched the app & continued feature development. Just awesome!
They were very attentive to our needs as clients and went out of the way to make sure our projects were taken care of. They were always able to get projects done in the specifications we requested. They are passionate about getting things done; I would definitely recommend them to lead any IT projects.
I worked with OdiTek on few high profile banking application projects. They did a fantastic job with web applications & manual testing on the VAS apps for two leading banks of UK that included rigorous UAT phases. I recommend them for any application development where security matters.
OdiTek is our extended team who works on our key software projects. They are dependable, good in collaboration and technically very much to the level what we expect a global team should be. They had transformed our web applications, CRM and added mobility to existing business platforms here.
It's been more than 4 years now that we are working with OdiTek on our cloud based web product development. It's been amazing working together, they are very competent on designing scalable, high performance apps. Their technical support is outstanding to say the least, even at odd hours.
I am a fan of Team OdiTek since 2014 and have worked on many product development projects together. Specially worth mentioning their deliveries on VAS Banking web application development & manual testing services for Smarta, UK. They are highly skilled & a professional team to work with.
OdiTek has been working on our Integrated Web-scale Mobile Platform i.e. Optimal Health since 2014. They are very professional and takes care of the requirements meticulously. They are technically very sound and sincere in ensuring quality & performance. Wonderful working with them!
You can trust the team, with minimum supervision you get the work done. They are honest, professional & committed to schedule & quality. I had been successfully running 3 business applications designed, developed and maintained by Oditek developers. It’s been a pleasure working with them.
OdiTek has been working in custom software development, including services for test automation. Many of them have worked with me in 2009-10 when I was R&D Manager in NetHawk India. They have great enthusiasm & a passion to excel in bringing customer success. Their work has been very impressive.
It's amazing to see these guys are turning their experience into a global delivery excellence at OdiTek. I am sure their past large scale product development experience will be handy to product companies. I would always recommend Oditek for software development, especially performance-driven solutions.