Web Testing With SeleniumThe adaptation of the agile process in the software development process fastens the overall software development time, time-to-delivery (TDD), time-to-market (TTM), and ultimately lowering the developmental cost. To make sure of the efficiency and quality of the testing process, the demand for automated web testing tools have soared higher dramatically. Of the many automation testing tools available, Selenium automated testing is one of the most widely used to test web applications.
Selenium framework comprises of the various stack of test automation tools. Each framework comes with different functionality that is application or project-specific. The Selenium test suite consists of the following:
1. Selenium WebDriver
2. Selenium RC
3. Selenium IDE
Why Web Testing with Selenium?Nowadays, Selenium is the most preferred choice for conducting automated testing of websites. Both test engineers and the developers use it for their projects unit testing.
Web application testing with Selenium has many benefits:
1. Free to use, free of charge, and open-source
2. Integrated into any DevOps process
3. Highly extensible and powerful programming framework
4. Works across all browsers and operating systems
5. Can run many test cases in parallel
6. Runs while the browser is minimized
7. Supports mobile devices both stimulated and on real devices
8. Automates any web application, regardless of the underlying technology
No other automation framework or tool comes close to this impressive list of benefits.
However, you need to understand that Selenium’s greatest power is that it gives programmers raw access to the browser. So, a programmer needs to have experience in writing and structuring the code in a way that can be maintained easily.
Due to this reason, Selenium is a preferred choice for web-based automated enterprise applications like SAP, Sitecore, SharePoint, Salesforce, and many others.
How to Use Selenium?Here are the six basic steps of how to use a Selenium script for test automation -
Besides creating the test automation scripts themselves, making Selenium work as a test automation tool also requires:
1. Understanding code versioning with Git: Testers need to be familiar with code versioning in the popular Git tool, to make sure that their test scripts travel smoothly through the release pipeline.
2. Setting up accurate test environments: To set up appropriate test environments and maintain the code that uses these environments can be intricate.
3. Creating reporting and monitoring for scripts: Selenium does not have built-in capabilities for reporting and monitoring, programmers will either have to build their own or integrate with other software for this.
It is also important to note that Selenium does not work with any type of desktop application. You can only automate the content displayed in web browsers.
Web Testing with Codeless SeleniumWhen using Selenium you need to perform the following types of actions -
1. Interacting with web elements like buttons and fields
2. Operating browsers of different types to navigate web applications
3. Using data sources like databases and Excel spreadsheets
4. Reading and writing data, numbers, and texts
Here is an example of codeless web testing with Selenium. It is a simple flow that creates contacts in Salesforce from an Excel spreadsheet, and then validates that each contact is correctly stored.
Flows like these take few minutes to create as compared to the hours of coding that would otherwise be needed.
The codeless approach enables every business users to run web automated testing of applications, without requiring any knowledge about code.
Advantages of Codeless Selenium for Web Testing
1. Run tests anywhere, anytime. Web automated tests can run anytime, anywhere on remote, local, and virtual machines, in the cloud, and in closed networks. The frequency and time of run schedules are completely customizable.
2. Reports and live dashboards. Take the right decision with powerful live reports and dashboards. Reports are fully customizable and exportable by using grouping and filtering options.
3. Document everything. Test cases are automatically documented with text logs, timestamps, and video recordings. All events and actions are reported in audit trails. You can reply and inspect for fast troubleshooting.
4. Design reusable components. Skip the maintenance workload by building custom sub-flows for commonly used steps and processes. Edit sub-flows in a single place and use them across projects and teams.
5. Gives an overview of test steps. There is no better way to maintain a complete overview of your process than with a flowchart. And that is why your tests are best designed as visual flowcharts.
6. Collaborate on test automation. Teamwork is about working better together. With project asset sharing, user roles, and access profiles, and easy hand-over, there’s no stopping for your team.
Software testing can be difficult and costly. We test automation minimizes errors, improves the ability to scale tasks, and cuts back on resources required. Web application testing with Selenium is nearly a third of the market for automated testing as it can minimize risk and improve test execution.
With OdiTek Solutions, all business users can automate processes for improved reliability and accuracy. Successful test automation is within reach!
What Oditek offers
Refer our Skills page:
We had a tough deadline to launch our .Net based application that processes a lot of data, and got very frustrated with our development agency we hired. Fortunately we got Oditek, and they took over seamlessly the product development, launched the app & continued feature development. Just awesome!
They were very attentive to our needs as clients and went out of the way to make sure our projects were taken care of. They were always able to get projects done in the specifications we requested. They are passionate about getting things done; I would definitely recommend them to lead any IT projects.
OdiTek has been very impressive in delivering a C++ based network security product migration from Linux to Windows. Honestly, we didn’t expect the speed and competencies to get the migration project delivered absolutely on time as the existing product was complex. Technically team is very experienced.
I worked with OdiTek on few high profile banking application projects. They did a fantastic job with web applications & manual testing on the VAS apps for two leading banks of UK that included rigorous UAT phases. I recommend them for any application development where security matters.
OdiTek is our extended team who works on our key software projects. They are dependable, good in collaboration and technically very much to the level what we expect a global team should be. They had transformed our web applications, CRM and added mobility to existing business platforms here.
It's been more than 4 years now that we are working with OdiTek on our cloud based web product development. It's been amazing working together, they are very competent on designing scalable, high performance apps. Their technical support is outstanding to say the least, even at odd hours.
I am a fan of Team OdiTek since 2014 and have worked on many product development projects together. Specially worth mentioning their deliveries on VAS Banking web application development & manual testing services for Smarta, UK. They are highly skilled & a professional team to work with.
OdiTek has been working on our Integrated Web-scale Mobile Platform i.e. Optimal Health since 2014. They are very professional and takes care of the requirements meticulously. They are technically very sound and sincere in ensuring quality & performance. Wonderful working with them!
You can trust the team, with minimum supervision you get the work done. They are honest, professional & committed to schedule & quality. I had been successfully running 3 business applications designed, developed and maintained by Oditek developers. It’s been a pleasure working with them.
OdiTek has been working in custom software development, including services for test automation. Many of them have worked with me in 2009-10 when I was R&D Manager in NetHawk India. They have great enthusiasm & a passion to excel in bringing customer success. Their work has been very impressive.
It's amazing to see these guys are turning their experience into a global delivery excellence at OdiTek. I am sure their past large scale product development experience will be handy to product companies. I would always recommend Oditek for software development, especially performance-driven solutions.